Sunday, August 28, 2011

PERSONAL: Busy Start at LPGA

    It's been quite the 2 weeks having left so many great friends and memories at Golf Channel for a new  opportunity with the LPGA as Chief Communications Officer.
With Anna Nodqvist (getty images)
     While my first "official" day won't come until this Wednesday at a media day for the CME Group Titleholders event set for November, I have been to my new office in Daytona Beachto meet the great staff of people and I have been on the road at the CN Canadian Women's Open.  I spent 3 days in Montreal saying "hello" to some of the LPGA stars I've covered during my years hosting Golf Central.  Lot's of meetings with players, sponsors and LPGA executives... which was quite informative and proof that so many great things are happening.  Eyes wide open and ears wide open too.
     As for my job... I'm sure the role will change from day to day but I'm charged with "growing the exposure" and helping to "build the brand" from a media perspective.

Sharing my goals with recent winner Suzann Pettersen (getty images)
      I told players that they hold the key to our success - but my clear mission is to give them a larger platform to share their message and a taller mountain from which to shout about all the good things they do.  The reception was terrific.

Talking at Mississippi State
      This week will be busy as well.  Monday I'm off to Tucson, Arizona for work with my company HTK Media.  I'll be doing seminars for the University of Arizona with its golf programs and meet with Athletic Department officials as well.  It's all about communicating a message through the media.  I tell everyone - college athletes, professional athletes and tour stars like Suzann Pettersen - the media is an "opportunity" not an "obligation."  Every chance someone gets to be on stage or in front of the media is a great chance to brand yourself and build your profile.

Headed to Tucson
     I love talking to student-athletes.  They have so much enthusiasm for the process of reaching the professional level - and they truly enjoy learning about the tour from a media perspective.  We'll discuss ways to stand out, how to reach goals - during and after school is over - with the right mindset, ways to make a difference, how to speak in front of groups and how to handle interviews in a way that leaves a lasting impression for themselves and their school. No question, my years at Golf Channel have helped me with HTK Meida and in taking this next step with what I believe is the best female professional sports league of them all. 
    Much more to come... I appreciate the support here and on twitter (@kraigkann and @HTKmedia) and can't wait to fully jump in at the LPGA later this week. Trips ahead to Arkansas, Albany, NY, Alabama, Irleand for the Solheim Cup, Malaysia and Taiwan.  Busy?  Sure... but great things to come!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the start of a great opportunity for you and the LPGA. There certainly is a lot of growth potential for the tour, especially here in the U.S., and many ways to "build its profile."
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete